The Sous Chef will be responsible for managing daily operations under the direction of the Chef. They will ensure daily kitchen operation is smooth including grab and go, weekly specials and daily service. They will ensure kitchen sanitation according to health and safety guidelines and a TurF kitchen cleaning schedule.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborating with the chef on menu development - weekly specials and seasonal menu roll out.
- Managing the food ordering process, ensuring they reduce food costs wherever possible, ensure a positive relationship with all food suppliers, and improve ordering and inventory systems.
- Managing food quality of all prepared foods.
- Development of staff through training and feedback.
- Leadership of BOH team through delegation, communication, influence, support, passion, empathy etc.
- Managing service – bill times, menu availability etc.
- Ensuring food health and safety guidelines are always followed.
- Creating a positive work environment for staff through effective communication and people management
- Living the culture of TurF with goal setting and TurF class attendance
- Assisting in the development of systems to improve all functions of the kitchen – cleanliness, food waste, labour, etc.
- Maintaining and caring for all kitchen equipment and taking steps to keep it in its best condition possible. Being the POC in the event of equipment issues.
- Engaging in weekly one on ones with team members to provide guidance, support and feedback. In accordance you will receive weekly one on ones with Chef to receive feedback and guidance.
- Supporting the TurF Fridge operations, ensuring consistent, high-quality products as well as outsourced products that align with our brand
- Supporting the employee recruitment process – fully investing in the person and the training of all BOH employees.
- Creating the BOH weekly labour schedule, giving employees two weeks’ notice of their schedules
Who You Are:
- Has minimum 1+ years of experience in a fast-paced environment
- Has a deep passion for seasonal, ingredient driven food, which is based around local and organic farming that utilizes everything to its full potential
- Has strong principals regarding proper cooking techniques and an eye for detail
- Keen understanding of nutrition, and healthy living
- Excellent leadership skills – communication, problem solving and people management
- Understands basic baking techniques
- Culinary school education is an asset although not necessary
TurF’s BOH is a positive work environment with a community of people who care about the quality of food that they put out as well as the well-being of their team. We take care of each other and fully respect one another – It’s important that the Sous Chef emulates these qualities as well. TurF is an amazing place to work, if you love delicious plant-based food, amazing coffee, and working out with the best community, this job is for you!
In addition to your wage and tips, We take care of our staff by providing extended health benefits including prescription, massage, chiropractic, vision, dental free classes, a daily staff meal, discounts on amazing product and programs like goal setting, meditations and much more. If you are looking to create an enormous life for yourself, we can help!
Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply!