With the weather continuing to cool, our bodies are gravitating to warming, heartier foods. We’re big fans of plant-based soups as they are full of flavour, quick to whip up, and packed with nutrients. Beets and cabbage are all-star foods after an indulgent holiday because they contain antioxidants and nutrients that help our bodies heal and detoxify.
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 stalks of celery, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 small cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 lb beets, finely diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, finely diced
- 4 ltr vegetable stock
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Sauté onions on medium heat until translucent then add garlic, celery, carrots, and cabbage
- Cook until cabbage has softened
- Add beets, sweet potato and stock
- Let it boil then lower the heat to simmer for 10 minutes or until the beets and sweet potatoes are soft. You can pierce the beets and sweet potatoes with a paring knife to test its texture
- Portion out half of the soup and blend in a blender or food processor (this is to get a smoother texture and a bit of creaminess out of the soup)
- Add the blended soup into the pot of soup and stir
- Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice
- Optional: Serve with vegan sour cream. We like blending together soaked cashews with lemon zest, garlic, and dill to make a refreshing dill cream.
Try it and share your creation with us at @turfliving.